Friday, August 27, 2010

Omee (That's My Arabic for My Mom)

My mom visited me for a couple weeks about a month ago. I absolutely loved it and, much to her surprise, so did she. I wanted to write a sappy blog about how much I love my mom, how special she is to me, how sweet it was for her to come out to a part of the world that scares her, how her visit helped get my mind out of this pseudo-reality, and how her visit here reminded me to remember who I really am. That's tender and all, but I've already written a blog or two along those lines. Now I think I'll try something different.

Whenever my mom visits me, she always hides cute little thank you notes right before she leaves. Her handwriting ranks among the most meticulous of school teachers, and she always signs off with a smiling sun. Finding sweet notes days after she's gone somehow softens the blow of her not being here anymore. When I discover a new note, I feel like she snuck up and surprised me with an unexpected hug. Today I found the 34th note underneath my home phone, and she left nearly a month ago. It said, "I love you, Mel." I never get a chance to tell her my response: "I love you, too, Mom." Well, this blog is my response to some of those cute notes.

Note 1: Thanks for the fun memories in Lebanon and Riyadh. I had a great time, Mom. Thanks for coming! I smile every time I think about our time together and the memories we made.

Note 2: Remember asking 4 people for directions to the grocery store in Beirut. I know it was around the clock tower, somewhere. Too bad we never found it. Everyone was so eager to help, but too bad none of the directions were decent!

Note 3: Remember sheesha beside the sea and at the town center. It was a blast, huh? I just bought myself a sheesha pipe last week, but I doubt I'll ever have three handsome young guys smoke it with me here in Saudi Arabia!

Note 4: Remember AUB-- its beautiful walkways, buildings, and MUSEUM. I know! Wasn't it beautiful? That museum was pretty awesome, too.

Note 5: Remember your first day driving--to Sidia and Tyre. Yeah, driving here is pretty intense, huh?

Note 6: Remember the crazy shaker ride at the carnival in Beirut. I liked watching you watch it. That ferris wheel was pretty neat, looking over the water.

Note 7: Remember the Russian Ballet dancing Anna Karinina in front of the dramatically lit Temple of Venus/Bacchus. I'll never forget it! It was on my top ten memories in my entire life!

Note 8: Remember the fortress at Sidon--and the local who helped you park. Parking is as crazy as driving! That dude standing in the middle of the road to block traffic was pretty cool. The fortress...wow! I kept thinking about all the stories those walls could tell!

Note 9: Remember sweet Cheryl's welcome home. Wasn't she cool? I got pretty lucky having her as a roommate!

Note 10: Remember lunch at Rasha's home. Surprising how much tuna fish you can eat when you don't know about the other food, huh? She was so nice to put together a meal for us. They didn't have much, but they offered us their best.

Note 11: Remember your beautiful birthday dress and the sewing job. I loved it! I'm so glad they didn't have the dress in Jen's size! It fit me perfectly! Those straps were fun to make with you. You're such a good seamstress, even without a sewing machine. Thanks for your help, Mom.

Note 12: I love you, Mellie. I love you, too, Mama. I love you soooo much.

No comments:

Post a Comment