Thursday, August 26, 2010

Mafi Boosa Lak Enta (That's my Arabic for No Kiss for You, Man)

Seems like no woman can leave Riyadh without a funny story involving a lonely man. Mine goes like this:

I checked onto a flight going to Cairo a couple weeks ago. The 20 year old guy checking me in was a total sweetheart and offered me a voucher to the VIP room. Of course I took him up on the offer, then thanked him when he came to visit me there a little later. We had a nice ten minute conversation, he offered to help me with anything I needed in the future, and unsuccessfully attempted to get me upgraded to first class. He was one of those sweet Middle Eastern men that make me love living here sometimes.

Before I left, he gave me his phone number and I texted him a thank you message. He sent me a couple texts while I was in Cairo, wishing me a happy trip and stuff. The night before I came home, he asked me if I needed any help at the airport when I got back to Riyadh. I told him that I would be okay, but I'd come say hi. Turns out he wasn't working when I got in, so I promised to say hi the next time I was at the airport.

I'm not sure why I thought it would be an airport-only friendship, but I did. And I was wrong. A few days later I got two texts in a row from him within about a ten second period. Here's what he wrote...

"i don,t no bt i thenk u very ceut and u r wung girl. bt mybe u pe mi girlfrend if thes ok wt u coz i like u very match. and thank u. bay bay" and "im sory mellany bt if u wont can i bay to u a coofe or enteng als."

That whole thing's kinda weird for me, but flattering and entertaining at the same time. He thinks I'm cute, young (I'm 12 years older than him), and will buy me anything that costs the same as a coffee! What a sweetie. Time to quit while I'm ahead. I recruited the help of a couple Saudi guys to help me compose a culturally-sensitive text that lets the kid off easy. I told him that he was nice and I like having Saudi friends, so we should keep to being friends.

Nothing exciting there. In fact, the whole story up to this point is such a non-event, I wouldn't even write it if it weren't for the phone call I got that night. I knew I needed to answer it to make sure I didn't hurt his feelings or to clear up any misconceptions. Here's the good part. You're gonna love it.

Airport guy: "I got you a gift while you were in Cairo."

Me: "Really, I don't want anything."

Airport guy: "You'll really like it. It's big, but not too big."

Me: "I can't accept any gifts, but thanks anyway."

Airport guy: "Are you sure? I think you will like it."

Me: "What is it?"

Airport guy: "A cat."


Hahahhaha!!!! I hope he enjoys his new cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment